Saturday, April 3, 2010

Did You Just Slap Your Baby In the Face?

Walked out of my home and looked up the block just in time to see a mother slap her 1 year old in the face. Took my shades off and thought "did I really just see that?" I started to walk towards them and thought "I must say something, I know she may curse or do something else, but , f*&k it!!!"

I'm further assessing the situation as I get closer to them. The one-year old was unmoved when she got hit, which leads me to think that this has happened before. The mother appeared angry, frustrated and used her daughter as an outlet.

I knew I wanted to say something, enough to get her attention and possibly out some of her fire, but nothing aggressive. I said, "Did you just slap your baby in the face?" She turned her eyes from me and nervously tended to another baby in the back stroller. I knew that presenting the question to her would let her know that the behavior/abuse is exposed. Yes, it happened outside, but , it's a different perception when you know someone have witnessed you commit the crime.

I'm sure we all masterminded the whole experience, which prompts me to believe that she wanted to bring this darkness to light.

Not sure what their reality will be after I've walked away. Let's hope/project for the best.

N

No comments:

Post a Comment