Friday, March 26, 2010

She Thinks She's Fat...

Met a young girl (about 9 y.o.) recently at the supermarket. I bought food and sat at the counter to eat. Her dad bought her miso soup and she came over and sat right next to me. I knew it was a moment of mutual learning because there were 5 other empty chairs, but, she decided to sit next to me. I felt her wanting to start a conversation with me, I was a bit apprehensive (in my own resistance).

She asked me if the chicken tasted good. Told her yes, it's tasty. My initial impression - she was hungry! I then asked her - how was the soup? Don't remember what she said, but, she did add that it was filling. My impression grew further - she may have an eating/body image challenge. I probed deeper. We engaged in a series of q & a. She divulged that she doesn't eat breakfast, only has a certain portion for lunch and dinner...and she thinks she's fat (as she touches her stomach and thighs). There was no sign of fat on this girl. I "assured" her that she was a healthy size for her age and height. Felt I needed to say more - told her that eating balanced meals was the healthier way to go, than eating food that fills you up.

She listened, not sure how much of an impact my words had. As I spoke, I was reminded that I must adhere to this myself and how countless girls and women try to control their lives via their weight and body image.

She was there to present a learning opportunity to me, as I her.

Her dad came over and as she got up to leave, I reminded her of what I said earlier; she looked at me with nervous eyes, agreed and left.

N

No comments:

Post a Comment